2/23/2006

 

15 Minutes

As I write this, I'm being photographed for the article in the News & Record. Don't know if my ugly mug will make it to the Web, but we'll see. I'm probably overexposed as it is.

Surreal slice of life, this is.

I'm actually not the type to garner publicity. After all, I'm not some narcissist like Paris Hilton, Dennis Rodman, or any of these other people that seem to be addicted to attention. I don't mind, however, drawing a bit of publicity as long as something good comes out ot it or something meaninigful is added to the debate.

Andy Warhol said everybody gets their fifteen minutes of fame. I guess this is mine; I'd better make it good. I want my fifteen minutes to actually help somebody, not feed an overblown sense of self-aggrandizement (Beyonce Knowles, Britney Spears, please call your offices.)

Speaking of fifteen minutes, I'll share mine. I wasn't going to name the host church where my family has been staying since Sunday, but they're such good people and so caring, I can't help it. So thank you, Westminster Presbyterian Church of Greensboro, for showing an old cynic that there are indeed people left on this polluted mudball who give a fig for someone else, and for being excellent hosts to a family going through a period of travail. "By their works shall you know them."

Comments:
I'm sure you will get more than just 15 minutes through the power of your blog.
 
Wow, How do you follow-up after what Charlie Smith said. I just wanted to say good luck to you and I hope all goes well. I know that it has beena while since you have last commented, but I interning at a place where they help the homelss and I see it all the time the devestation that people can feel from being homeless. I just hope that once you are back on your feet you pay it forward. Sometimes I think that may be the only way some problems can be challenged, helped, and fixed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?