6/12/2006

 

Life in the Hinterlands

No posts for almost two weeks. What a slacker that guy is!

Actually, there are several good reasons I haven't posted for awhile, and it's not like I haven't been busy.

As I mentioned before, the bus stops and schedules at our new location really work against us. The bus only runs once an hour, so if we miss one, it's an entire hour until the next. This can throw schedules into chaos very quickly. Add to that the fact that on weekdays the nearest bus stop is a half-mile away, and to get there we have to navigate a major thoroughfare (we won't mention the staggering number of crazy drivers in Greensboro...yet) and cross a train track (not when the train is using it, of course) and you see that getting to the stop can be an adventure. Mike and I each have almost been hit twice by cars, and I shudder to think about Mama and Ness trying to scamper across the roadway. Still, we manage to get some of our agenda accomplished, very slowly.

For the past week, I've been trying to log onto the blog and post, but a couple times I've gotten computers that were no good, or run into unexpectedly large crowds at the library, and there have been several times in the week where I could not get onto Blogger (it was down for maintanance one day, at least, as other bloggers can tell you.)

Still, I'm here now, so I'll just briefly try and recap what's been going on.

I've been in talks with an ad agency about joining the staff there. This job was related to me by a good friend of mine, so I knew the recommendation was on the up-and-up. I have a second interview with them tomorrow; we'll see what happens.

Last Saturday, we received some free computers with all the trimmings courtesy of the generosity of two of my Readers (thanks, Sue and Dave!). These weren't basment refugees, either, folks. These were two good ones, with big screens and everything, and even came with printers. Mike immediately made sure one disappeared into the depths of his room. Ness claimed the other, but I decreed that it should stay downstairs, since I'll also be using it to post and find work whenever we get internet service. I'm currently trying to get my hands on a table to put it on since our old table gasped its last when we moved out of our old place.

I met and talked to a homeless man last Monday. Tim has been bouncing around North and South Carolina trying to find a permanent home for the past few years. Like I did, he busts the stereotype of a homeless person. I promised to get his story online, but I'll do that in a post dedicated solely to that purpose.

Last Tuesday, whle on my way to work, I discovered through the News & Record that the City Council who have been in negotiations to set next year's budget, have been considering cutting items such as housing aid and bus services for the disabled. My response upon seeing that article was, and I quote, "Aw, hell, no!" So after work, I made a beeline straight for City Hall to attend the council meeting. I'll devote a sole post to that, too. It was quite an interesting experience.

Ness' birthday was yesterday, June 11. She turned 9 (going on 39, I like to say) and in an indication of just how pathetic her old man is, she not only didn't get a birthday party or a present, I had to work to boot! Fortunately, the mom of one of her best friends had been planning a surprise party for her and she had a great time, but I still feel like a low-grade rat for not being able to at least come up the $7.00 tub of Floam that she really wanted.

We experienced our first storm since moving into the apartment, and we've discovered that a corner of the living room has a small leak near the floor. It's not too bad, but we've noticed that the harder it rains, the faster the water puddles. So far, we're controlling it with towels and keeping electrical items out of that corner until I can get hold of Maintenance. Just an annoyance, really, but a torrent might actually cause a problem. We nearly got one yesterday. A cluster of severe thunderstorms moved through the Triad, creating some impressive llightning and wind gusts and knocking out our power twice. Rockingham County, the county immediately north of us, got a tornado warning. Our storm got rambunctious enough that I did scan the sky at one point for funnel clouds, but fortunately it didn't get to that point.

Comments:
Nature Boy

There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far, very far
Over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?